Saturday, January 1, 2011

1/1/11 Pink Model

Started the new year off right with many hours in the shop working on the harp project. I'll try to keep track of my hours- a good guess would be about 10 hours to date.
I don't kid myself that working with this foam is anything like working with wood, but I need to get a prototype before I can even think about making working drawings.

I spent a lot of time trying to get my styrofoam pieces to stay in the right plane before I got the brain storm to make some supportive blocks at the right angles. Note the high-tech fasteners. At least they are easy to reposition, but they are not too stable.
I ended up drawing a lot on the table top- should have laid a big piece of paper down first- but that would not have been as stable. Time to refinish the top anyhow.
Finally got a piece to fit neatly into the top part. I won't show you the rejects- too discouraging. Suffice it to say that working with compound angles is difficult. The second layer isn't quite as pretty, but I have to shape it after I remove the model off the table, and I'm not there yet.

I have thought about how much easier it would be to make this harp with parallel sides- then I thought about megaphones and speakers and how they amplify sound- so I'm working the angles. On this base piece, for example, it has to follow the angles of the front and back (different angles, of course), as well as the angle of the bottom of the harp. . . and, fit fully into the bottom of the sides. That is another step that has to wait until I take the pink model off the table- tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment